Is there anything better than Bitcoin out there?

Bitcoin price rose twenty-fold in 2017. If that isn't quick return on investment than I don't know what is!

Have you looked into ethereum? Some people say it might be bigger given that it's more than just digital gold/cash.

I personally suggest to invest or mine Ethernum, which is the second best cryptocurrency after Bitcoin.

You can also invest in Litecoin, Ripple and Monero.

@arrana why ?? can you explain?? i want to know.

@shanzida @arrana Me too, especially since ethereum mining will be obsolete with proof of stake / casper.

@elliot The main reason I will say Mining Ethereum blocks takes about 14 seconds per confirmation compared to Bitcoin’s 10 minutes.

@arrana Makes sense, but the reward is also significantly lower and it will be phased out by casper anyway. Might as well just mine monero on your phone or while you browse the web through a chrome extension.

/s

@elliot Interesting though! can you send me the monero tutorials?

@arrana https://medium.com/@danielgoliveira/a-guide-on-how-to-mine-monero-386ab205d5b6

Maybe this? Haven't fully vetted it though.

@elliot will take a look

@elliot i would love to mine some for me,

Yes, there is! Ethereum is simply better than Bitcoin. Bitcoin’s purpose (sole) is to be the virtual currency of the internet, and it uses the Blockchain to do this. However, Ethereum focuses on the bigger problem.

Additionally, Ethereum is written in a Turing Complete Language, but Bitcoin was written in a stack based language that isn't Turing Complete. A Turing complete language actually means anything can be done with it provided enough computing power and enough time.

@MK-Hasan Bitcoin also has a scripting language but it's intentionally not turing complete. Still powerful though - enough to do atomic swaps.

All I found a great comparison https://www.bitdegree.org/tutorials/ethereum-vs-bitcoin/

It totally depends on what you mean by 'better'.

Bitcoin was the original crypto solution proposed in the Nakomoto whitepaper, and as such has the longest blockchain, largest developer and mining pool, and the most powerful network effect. However, it is also slow to confirm transactions, and relatively costly, compared to many newer coins. It also does not have the native functionality to execute contracts which has been built into solutions like Ethereum and EOS.

It may be that Bitcoin becomes the 'reserve' currency of the digital space, used as a store of value and to peg exchange rates against, whilst being used less and less in transactions. Or it could be that with wide adoption of secondary layers like the Lightning network, payments will become faster and cheaper and we'll end up paying for coffee and pizza with satoshis... In such an emergent space, who can say?

So it totally depends on what you want from a crypto coin, as to what is the 'best' coin out there (with 1589 listed on coinmarketcap today you have a wide choice). Do you want a long term investment, a means of exchange, a store of value? Do you need the utility of contract execution? Do you want something viable to mine domestically? So many factors come into the decision, and as such you need to do plenty of research!

I personally recommend Ropple.Because Ripple is a real-time global settlement network that offers instant, certain and low-cost international payments. Ripple “enables banks to settle cross-border payments in real time, with end-to-end transparency, and at lower costs.” Released in 2012, Ripple currency has a market capitalization of $1.26 billion. Ripple’s consensus ledger -- its method of conformation -- doesn’t need mining, a feature that deviates from bitcoin and altcoins.

@sarahmullen said in Is there anything better than Bitcoin out there?:

Because Ripple is a real-time global settlement network that offers instan

Obviously, go for XRP!!

@sarahmullen said in Is there anything better than Bitcoin out there?:

Ripple’s consensus ledger -- its method of conformation -- doesn’t need mining, a feature that deviates from bitcoin and altcoins.

Those are the best features

@blocksparks said in Is there anything better than Bitcoin out there?:

It may be that Bitcoin becomes the 'reserve' currency of the digital space, used as a store of value and to peg exchange rates against,

I don't think so

@shanzida why do you say that - do you think it will be a different coin that emerges in this role? Surely Bitcoin is the most stable, compared to the others?