What's your story?

I think we're all new to this...

One of the things I love about crypto and the people I meet is the varied backgrounds and how they got involved, what got you hooked and wanting to find out more?

I am full time crypto trader.

@sarahmullen How'd you get into trading/blockchain in general?

For me personally, it's when I saw the commit reveal scheme for blind voting.
In the future, I hope that voting is done on some blockchain to prevent fraud & abuse.

@elliot interestingly in Estonia it is possible to vote on the blockchain, and indeed most government-citizen communication is increasingly done that way.

I have never set foot in Estonia, but, I am an e-resident! BlockSparks is constituted as a limited company in Estonia, which embraces international startups from anywhere. I operate the business using my digital ID which is embedded in the Estonian national blockchain database.

@elliot said in What's your story?:

get into trading/blockchain in general?

I am very interested in new technology. Back in June last year when they crypto hype covers the world like a storm I bought some BTC. and that made fortunes for me. I started learning about the market and in the beginning of 2018 I joined 3 exchanges and started altcoin trade in full force

@elliot said in What's your story?:

For me personally, it's when I saw the commit reveal scheme for blind voting.

Blockchain voting still isn't perfect or ready for primetime yet. However, it's likely to be a massive change in democracy once it does reach legitimacy.

@sarahmullen, I became hooked on crypto after a short introduction from one of my friends. He was an early adopter of ETH and was seeing big returns on ETH. He got me into crypto this fall and ended up making some big money (millions on a relatively small initial investment) when it jumped up to over $1400 in January. Seeing his success and the potential for big growth has kept me hooked on crypto ever since.

However, while capital gains are nice, I am even more excited about crypto implementations in the future. Some of my first cryptocurrency reading was from Andreas Antonopolous' "The Internet of Money" https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01L9WM0H8/ref=dp-kindle-redirect?_encoding=UTF8&btkr=1.

While 90% of the projects out there now are likely to fail, I think crypto and blockchain technologies as a whole will be life-changing. Simply put, the way that we deal with fiat money today is broken and desperately needs to be improved. That is what keeps me going in the crypto space.

This is super interesting everybody, thank you for responding!

I used to trade binary options at Binary.com. When some binary and commodity trading platforms began adding cryptocurrency pairs, I started researching the blockchain, and I have been hooked ever since.

I a hobbyist trader but a blogger mostly, so these days I inform people about things in the blockchain space.

@coin_raven said in What's your story?:

I used to trade binary options at Binary.com. When some binary and commodity trading platforms began adding cryptocurrency pairs, I started researching the blockchain, and I have been hooked ever since.

I a hobbyist trader but a blogger mostly, so these days I inform people about things in the blockchain space.

Awesome. How did you find this forum?

I came from Google @AfriDylan

I also hang out at some crypto-forums but the conversations haven't really been to my taste so I decided to search for new perspectives and meet new people.

I work from home so most of my social interactions are with my buddies all over the world. People who "get me", if you know what I mean. )✌

@coin_raven said in What's your story?:

I came from Google @AfriDylan

I also hang out at some crypto-forums but the conversations haven't really been to my taste so I decided to search for new perspectives and meet new people.

I work from home so most of my social interactions are with my buddies all over the world. People who "get me", if you know what I mean. )✌

Right on. I "get you" ✊

Nice to see lots of traders here, I'm a social media manager for lots of different crypto/fintech/blockchain clients as a part of the @blocksparks marketing agency. I'm reasonably new to crypto but have been involved with social media for 6 or 7 years now.

@AfriDylan My story is similar to yours in that I got to learn about cryptocurrecies from my cousin who works for a tech company and was forced to buy ETH by some developers in the company. That was in early 2017 when the price was about $280 and she offloaded some of it early this year for a handsome profit. Coincidentally, I got a writing gig which made me research up to date news about cryptocurrencies. In the process, I got hooked and amazed at how powerful and life changing Blockchain was. Am now a crypto fanatic and I always love talking about cryptocurrencies to whoever cares to listen.

@cryptoqueen

Regarding "anyone who cares to listen". I found that this was FAR easier when the intense boom of late 2017-early 2018 was in effect. It was remarkable how many people came to me asking how to set up an exchange account, how to set up wallets and so forth - the FOMO was in full effect.

After a lot of people got burned, their interest waned / opposed my own. I try to keep my talking about the tech, application and future of cryptocurrencies/blockchain/tangle to a minimum to my friends IRL (except the select few who are also interested and invested in it) - lest I become "that person", mostly because I can tell this is a subject that bores a lot of people after the initial 'hype' of Bitcoin before the crash - and/or baffles them (myself included at most times).

It's good to get the craving for discussion out online though.

I'd love more people to see it as a world-changing concept rather than a 'lambo in the garage' concept (i.e. a novelty get rich quick scheme or scam). Mass adoption won't just 'happen', it's up to us and others being advocates, and providing real world examples - this will be more easily realisable when our favourite projects start delivering their products and we can showcase them more effectively to friends/family and so forth.

I am encouraged by the amounts of meet-ups, and conventions and quality article writing coming into play though, we need a good foundation and credible information to flourish. Of course we also need concrete examples of where blockchain and other emerging tech of this nature is actually an improvement over what we already have. All I can say is, I'm pretty excited for not only this year, but the many years to follow.

@escher Now that you mention the waning interest by friends, I remember one of them came to me guns blazing after she got into Bitcoin when it was at its peak and then lost quite some cash after it dropped drastically this year. It's true, most people are viewing crypto as a get rich quick scheme (and sometimes it can be) but until one genuinely believes in the revolutionary power of Blockchain, then they will keep getting burned.

Me and my roommate got into bitcoin sometime before I graduated college, around 2011. Unfortunately our gear was weak and we barely got anything done - we couldn't afford the electric bill and had to stop. I didn't pay much attention after that due to the fact I was extremely broke and barely affording the room I was renting. Other than mining a little feathercoin for a brief time I lost track of crypto.

Last year my old roommate whom I've kept in touch with reached out and reminded me about it - he had kept up with it more as a hobby and had actually made out okay. I decided now that I have a job and career and money to spare - a hobby would be a good thing! and I'm glad I did built a mining rig within a week.

I didn't make out like a bandit in 2017 as some people did (my friend bought himself a nice new house) I just did okay. More importantly it really gave me something to dig into - not just a chase for money but all the potential. I go off on tangents when someone gives me the opportunity to explain some facets of crypto, all the different consensus models etc etc.

For me - at least right now its something to keep me from just doing the same thing everyday, getting off work and only playing a video game, or immediately going to the bar. Those things are great I'm just happy to have something else to fill my time that might also be knowledge worth obtaining

sorry this was long

@craig said in What's your story?:

I go off on tangents when someone gives me the opportunity to explain some facets of crypto, all the different consensus models etc etc.

I also find consensus models really interesting. I believe consensus and scaling are the two main issues preventing worldwide adoption for daily use. Proof of Work was really useful for adding apparent value to bitcoin in the beginning. But the way it gravitates to mining pools, even in Ethereum which is designed to discourage mining operations, is a real problem. The drain on value caused by electricity cost is also a problem.

I'd love to read a well informed post about what the low-energy consensus options are, their strengths and risks. And if any have truly solved all of the problems.

@escher said in What's your story?:

@cryptoqueen

Regarding "anyone who cares to listen". I found that this was FAR easier when the intense boom of late 2017-early 2018 was in effect. It was remarkable how many people came to me asking how to set up an exchange account, how to set up wallets and so forth - the FOMO was in full effect.

After a lot of people got burned, their interest waned / opposed my own. I try to keep my talking about the tech, application and future of cryptocurrencies/blockchain/tangle to a minimum to my friends IRL (except the select few who are also interested and invested in it) - lest I become "that person", mostly because I can tell this is a subject that bores a lot of people after the initial 'hype' of Bitcoin before the crash - and/or baffles them (myself included at most times).

It's good to get the craving for discussion out online though.

I'd love more people to see it as a world-changing concept rather than a 'lambo in the garage' concept (i.e. a novelty get rich quick scheme or scam). Mass adoption won't just 'happen', it's up to us and others being advocates, and providing real world examples - this will be more easily realisable when our favourite projects start delivering their products and we can showcase them more effectively to friends/family and so forth.

I am encouraged by the amounts of meet-ups, and conventions and quality article writing coming into play though, we need a good foundation and credible information to flourish. Of course we also need concrete examples of where blockchain and other emerging tech of this nature is actually an improvement over what we already have. All I can say is, I'm pretty excited for not only this year, but the many years to follow.

This is the TRUTH. Great post!

It's clear that the interest will come and go from outsiders as the market gets hot. The same people who entered in January and sold in February/March will be the ones popping in at the top of the next bull run. However, the continued development efforts leading to real-world applications in this space will be what pushes blockchain to the forefront.

Also looking forward to the future... We are still very early to the party, and there's lots to be done 🙂

This post is deleted!