Cold storage choices...

So if you were going to choose, or you had to get someone for a gift who is just getting into crypto, which hard wallet would you buy?

I have a ledger Nano but I find it annoying to use, the little screen and the buttons and all. And I am thinking for a person who is not very technical, it should be as easy as possible, whilst also being as safe as possible… And I am wondering whether I should get a Trezor instead, for this person I am thinking of.

Has anyone tried or compared both? Or are are there any other options I should be looking at besides these two?

This is a great question when one wants to store their bitcoins or "cryptocurrency wallet". But first, it is best to know why we want/need to store either on hot storage or cold storage. There are many options to chose from depending on one's need of course- 'hardware wallet", "paper wallet", "custody crypto vaults", "desktop wallet", "mobile wallet", "online wallet". "Hot storage" is when your cryptocurrency is being connected online where it is not safe from hackers, phishing scheme/phishers, access to password or when one forgot the password or when current exchange dips or collapses in the market that is why it is called "hot" which is "software-base". In short, there is an unsafe digital currency storage. "Cold storage" means is when one takes her/his cryptocurrency "offline". Back to the question on what are the "best cold storage choices"? As of now, it is said, that is is "Trezor One", "Ledger Blue" and "Ledger Nano S".

Thanks @leahanne65, is the ledger Blue very different to the Nano S?

I made a decision to buy hardware wallet almost a year ago. As almost everyone here I did my due diligence and ended up short-listing Trezor and Ledger as they are the two most obvious choices. I don't remember the detailed reasons at that time but I decided to go with Trezor. After using Trezor for a while I never regretted buying it - very easy to setup, good integration with Electrum, no problems whatsoever. Anyhow... why is it important? Because although I bought Trezor in the beginning I assumed that Ledger provides the same level of user experience. Unfortunately the problem with Trezor (the only one?) is that it support only a small number of cryptos. And with recent changes in the crypto space I assume many people start looking for other coins beyond the "Coinbase three". So, I ended up buying Ledger Nano S to get support for my growing portfolio of various other cryptocurrencies.

For a start, is their price difference: Trezor at €89 (~$105USD), Ledger Blue at €274.80 (~$325USD), and the Ledger Nano S at €69.60 ($~82USD).

"Ledger Nano S" is affordable and has the simplest feature for use and is ideally for novices to store for long term and is the most easy and efficient storage for bitcoin, ethereum or other alternative coins and it is also compatible to other "crypto wallet apps" while "Ledger Blue" is Ledger Nano S’s more complex version, most luxurious and it offers a most advance user experience and most advance in hardware security there is on the market and it also does fast transactions and is user friendly.

@leahanne65 said in Cold storage choices...:

Ledger Nano S

Ledger technical support is so slow to respond... and no support by phone 😞

Pros and Cons

Thanks for all the input everyone, sounds like I want to save up for the Nano Blue now!

@cryptochica said in Cold storage choices...:

I want to save up for the Nano Blue now!

The Ledger Blue is the Ledger Nano S’s more complex, luxurious, and versatile bigger brother. It provides the same elite security of the Nano, while offering users a much more advanced and mainstream experience.

@cryptochica said in Cold storage choices...:

Nano Blue

👍 👍 👍 👍
The innovative dual-chip architecture of the Blue makes it so the device is an unbreakable hardware wallet and a tablet device that can use apps and interact with the web all in one.

While the TREZOR Wallet and Ledger Nano S gave us the ability to have a bank account on your keychain, the Ledger Blue reminds me of an iPod. It is actually smaller than I thought it would be in real life, but it certainly bigger than the Nano S and TREZOR Wallet. It is not something I would want to keep in my pocket all the time.

You will need to fork over nearly $300 for the Ledger Blue. To top it all off, the Bluetooth functionality isn't operational yet (will be made available via firmware update). Size is also an issue, depending upon the type of hardware wallet you prefer. The Ledger Blue is about 5x larger than the Nano S, making it slightly less portable than the keychain sized offering from the Nano S