Who is in charge of Bitcoin?

So I got into this conversation the other day with a friend who knows I am involved with this, and they were reluctant to put their money into something without knowing who is really in control of it. I thought I knew abit about this stuff but I found it difficult to answer his questions actually.

How would you answer it? What role do the developers play, the miners, the users? Or organisations like the Bitcoin Foundation?

Is it just me struggling with this, and if not, then do you think this is something which is going to be an issue when it comes to people understanding it more widely and everyday people starting to invest in crypto and use it?

@CryptoChica moved.

I think the control is still in the hand of bitcoin foundation.

@CryptoChica I see where you are coming from. Being a decentralized system it is really difficult to see where the real power lies in Bitcoin.

Ultimately, the identity of Bitcoin's creator isn't important to Bitcoin's success or failure, because Satoshi Nakamoto probably couldn't control Bitcoin's future development even if he wanted to. Today, the official Bitcoin software is maintained as an open-source project by Andresen.

@faizan81 said in Who is in charge of Bitcoin?:

decentralized system

Decentralized doesn't mean nobody is in charge. It means more people are in charge.

@faizan81 said in Who is in charge of Bitcoin?:

decentralized system

Decentralization is the process of distributing or dispersing functions, powers, people or things away from a central location or authority. While centralization, especially in the governmental sphere, is widely studied and practiced, there is no common definition or understanding of decentralization. The meaning of decentralization may vary in part because of the different ways it is applied. Concepts of decentralization have been applied to group dynamics and management science in private businesses and organizations, political science, law and public administration, economics and technology.