Will Telegram's Public ICO Still Take Place?

alt text
Telegram's planned public ICO did not hold, but after two secretive pre-ICO sales raised $850million from private accredited investors, a roster comprised of the who is who of Silicon Valley, it seems unlikely they are hurting for money.

Do you still have any expectation of a public ICO from Telegram?

I imagine this time around, they would allow prospective investors buy into the ICO using cryptocurrencies--that is if a public ICO will actually be held.

It was a pretty audacious move for Telegram to have stipulated acceptance of only fiat for investment in the failed ICO. Forbes called that tactic a "Scam Among Cryptocurrency Scams."

Several sources think that a public ICO will not hold as Telegram has raised enough money from its pre-ICO sales.

I never believed the Telegram ICO was genuine. Mostly because their Telegram.org website never mentions it in their FAQ or their news. But then according to the SEC, they raised US$850 million. This makes Filecoin's US$257 million look small. And I'm fairly confident that the SEC required some solid proof of ID so Pavel and Nikolai Durov, are really behind it. And these are the names on the telegram.org website.

• Q: Who are the people behind Telegram?
    Telegram is supported by Pavel and Nikolai Durov. Pavel supports Telegram financially and ideologically while Nikolai's input is technological. To make Telegram possible, Nikolai developed a unique custom data protocol, which is open, secure and optimized for work with multiple data-centers. As a result, Telegram combines security, reliability and speed on any network.*

So I'm surprised to find it is real. Surprised to see they've raised enough money to get the job done without going to ICO, and while I don't see any good reason for them to risk upsetting the SEC with an ICO, I'm refusing to be surprised a third time.

Enjoyed this post? Consider registering for more interesting content!